Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Chocolate Chip Cookies (dairy free!)




I've been making and freezing cookies this week to bring to campus next week for exam week. The latest, Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies, are delicious! I know there are some students with dairy allergies, so I thought I'd cater to them a little!


These are crispy around the edges, and slightly chewy in the middle! The perfect cookie!

I used BetterBody coconut oil (found at Wal-mart, here in WI) and dairy free chocolate chips (from a friend that works at the local chocolate factory). Enjoy Life makes a brand of dairy free chocolate chips, and I've read that some other "normal" brands are also dairy free.


This recipe was adapted from here.

I suggest making sure the coconut oil is quite soft. Mine was barely soft enough to smash into the measuring cup, and I ended up with some lumps, even after mixing quite well. Want to see what lumps of coconut oil look like in baking cookies?


Not pretty. But, it still tasted yummy!! I just had to eat all those ones, of course.

Also, my dough was so crumbly, I thought I'd failed, but, after scooping and pressing into balls, they actually baked nicely!!



Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup very, very soft coconut oil
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tbs vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (or more, it never hurts!)
Preheat oven to 350. 
In medium bowl, mix together softened coconut oil, egg, vanilla and both sugars with electric mixer (or stand mixer)for around 2 minutes on medium speed.
In a separate bowl combine all dry ingredients & then slowly incorporate into the wet mixture.
Mix in chocolate chips by hand.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Use a cookie scoop to make balls, then rolls between hands and flatten slightly.
Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the outside of the cookies have browned a just a bit. 
Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes, them remove to wire racks.
Best eaten when warm from oven, of course!!
These can also be frozen after they are completely cooled in an airtight container!
Makes about 3 dozen


N is always at the oven, watching, tapping, and licking the glass. 


Enjoy!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment